Pages

Need perspective ?

October 19, 2014

This is Harmony-Rose from England, she's 11 months old. Isn't she adorable ?



 

Just a few weeks after taking her first steps Harmony-Rose got ill in late September. Her parents grew very worried and tried taking her to the doctor's not once, but twice. The doctors didn't see anything alarming in the baby's condition and sent the family their merry way. Not once, but twice.

During the third visit to the hospital, when Harmony-Rose was already turning blue, the doctors finally took her in - turned out she had meningitis, which then caused septicaemia. She fought and she survived - but because she didn't receive treatment early enough she is now in intense care waiting for an operation that will have all her limbs amputated.

Just a few days ago I was reading one of the blogs I follow, and the subject of this particular blog post was whether or not people believe that everything happens for a reason. I've often pondered that question myself: sometimes it is easier to face tough times when you fool yourself into thinking that there is some deeper meaning in that suffering, you know ? Then there are also those people who luck out time after time and they proclaim it is because they are 'open to good things' and sort of allow happiness in their lives. 


How does this work with people like Harmony-Rose ? What is the meaning of all this ? She will be ah so noble in later life because she'll have tons of compassion towards others due to her own suffering ? She will be the face of survival and overcoming obstacles ? I bet she would swap all that in a second for arms and legs.

Reading about people like Harmony-Rose not only completely breaks my heart, but it also makes me realize that life is but a series of random, good/bad incidents and while some people get lucky, others get unlucky - and none of this depends on your attitude or outlook on life. Life isn't fair because there is no fairness in random existence.  


And personally - no matter how bad I feel about my current circumstances, reading about stories like Harmony-Rose's makes me once again realize I have NOTHING to complain about. I can go for a walk, I can run - I can brush my teeth. I can sit down, sit up, jump if I want to, sit crossed legged on the floor meditating. So what if I don't have a job, have shit loads of debt and live my life alone ? So what if I never work again, never love again ? I've been healthy for 46 years and counting - I should remember that and count my blessings...as with many other smaller things. 


Perspective....good to get a kick in the butt sometimes.


The whole article about Harmony-Rose can be found HERE.




No comments :

Post a Comment